Monday, August 31, 2009

Weekend Update

Whoa - a lot of stuff happened this weekend. Not so much on Friday. I was supposed to hang out with a friend from college, but we couldn't get our shit together, so my roommate and I watched the terrible movie, Bride Wars. I am upset that because we ordered it on demand, it will actually show up on the cable bill. Embarrassing. Though it truly is the filmmakers who should be embarrassed. I mean, what a piece of shit. It is too bad, as there are some adequate acting performances. The director and the music supervisor should be ashamed of themselves. Not to mention the script problems including the fact that if two people are that close, they would more realistically be excited to get married on the same day. Also, there were editing problems. AND multiple still motion montages. AND extremely poor use of voice over. Wow - that movie really got me worked up. After that, I went to bed early #1 because I was sad to be part of a society that produced such an atrocious film and #2 because I wanted to be well rested for my POWER YOGA class on Saturday morning. That's right - Power Yoga. Prior to this weekend, I had never actually taken a yoga class before. A word of advice that probably sounds like common sense to most people - if you have never taken a yoga class before, don't start with Power Yoga, even if it's a beginners' class and really fits in with your work schedule. As of Monday at 10:50am, my body has still not recovered. It hurts when I breathe. Laughing is out of the question. I haven't sweat that much since doing the Total Body Burn workout in the Hip Hop Abs collection. It was made worse by the fact that the class was over an hour long and I just couldn't find a way out. I was forced to continue to participate. There were puddles of sweat on my yoga mat and my hands were so slippery that I kept falling over. The only bright side was that there was one guy there who was worse than I was. After I was released from prison camp, I went back to my house and quickly showered and my friend picked me up and we went out to lunch. After lunch, we went back to her apartment to do some business business. I think she must have forgotten that she picked me up because when I was leaving, she was like - "Bye! Thanks so much for helping me! I'll see you soon!" I think it's important to mention here that it was literally 100 degrees on Saturday in Los Angeles. Nonetheless, rather than be a lazy ass, I walked the 10 blocks or so back to my own apartment. At this point, instinct was telling me to just jump in the pool with my clothes on, but instead I had to get ready. My lovely roommate (the same one who forced me to watch Bride Wars) got tickets to see Liza Minnelli at the Hollywood Bowl Saturday Night! As I was lounging on the couch, waiting to leave, I happened upon Ted Kennedy's funeral which was, of course, being televised on CNN. The ceremony had run about 3 hours later than expected and it was pretty much black onscreen. Toward the end, the priest announced that several of Ted's grandchildren had some words. When they eventually found their way to the stage, one of them practically cried, "I can't see ANYTHING." It was very sad. I was about to turn the TV off at that point and read the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, but then a documentary called "Teddy: In His Own Words" started to air. Incredible! What a loss. Very emotional. I felt like a hypocrite for mocking people who had posted status updates about Ted Kennedy on facebook. Side bar - Diet Hansen's Pomegranate Soda tastes like cough medicine. Needless to say, by the time we got to our little box at the Hollywood Bowl, I was already extra sensitive. Liza was amazing. This was the first time I had seen her live. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Many props to the rooms for bringing me along. The only downside to the evening was that the relationship between the father and daughter sitting in front of us seemed to be extremely inappropriate. Happily, Rooms had thought ahead and brought along a bottle of wine for each act, so by the time we were standing outside the car waiting for other patrons to get the hell out of our way, I was in a pretty good place. Now, this may seem like more common sense, but Power Yoga followed by a bottle of wine on Saturday equals not being able to move on Sunday morning. Not even my head as my neck and shoulder muscles were bearing the brunt of Warrior 1 & 4. Somehow, I managed to pull myself out of bed, into the shower and drive over to my friends house for a reading of a play her theater company is workshopping. Listening to plays being read out loud has to be one of my least favorite activities. It was about 90 degrees in the apartment and as my body was not working properly anyway, the entire ordeal was a lot for me. Afterward, I sat in Denny's for awhile with some of my peeps and discussed next weekend's trip to San Francisco. Should be super fun. My weekend wrapped up with some marathon television watching - True Blood, Entourage, Mad Men, The Soup - during which I did manged to finish a little art project and do some laundry (mat days are over for now). Best line from True Blood this week - "That's Satan in your motherfucking Sunday hat." Excuse me? Brilliant. What's up with that egg?? Sadly, we all must wait two weeks to see the season finale. So, back at work today, but only for 4 days this week! Then 4 day weekend. I wonder if I could somehow make that a permanent arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment