Thursday, December 3, 2009

Who is better than this man?


For many years now, I have had an unrelenting celebrity crush on the one and only Stone Phillips, former NBC newsman and anchor of Dateline. When I say many years, I mean approximately 17. I've loved him from the moment I laid eyes on his perfectly coiffed hair pillow. I believe that I even impersonated him during a science project presentation involving a potato in the 10th grade. He has always been #1 on my "if you could" list. Today, while wasting time at work, I realized that I haven't seen him lately, even briefly, on the television. My question to all news channels out there - network and cable alike - is - WHY?? He is the quintessential broadcast journalist who is and has been grossly underused by network buffoons his entire career. As you might be able to tell, I really got worked up about this today. He is an American treasure/hunk and should be treated with all the respect and accolades that come along with those distinctions. Perhaps his lack of on-camera work over the past several years has been his choice. Perhaps he was sick of getting the same type of contract as Brian Williams' assistant. If this is indeed the case, I understand. It's only natural to want to punish the corporate a-holes who couldn't manage to come up with a measly $7 million to keep the original Don Draper on the air. But, Stone, if you're reading this, I implore you - return to the American airwaves! They are a desolate wasteland without you. I would also like to note that if I ever do anything to garner national attention for 15 minutes or so - like pretend my child is flying 10 miles above the earth in a Mylar balloon or crash a White House State dinner - the ONLY person to whom I would EVER grant an interview is the incomparable Mr. Phillips. Of course, Stone is far to classy to cover something like that. I suppose if I ever land a disabled aircraft on the Hudson without injuring anyone, I will give his agent a call.
Coincidentally, yesterday was his birthday. Happy birthday, Stone! I think I speak for many when I say, hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment