Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rainy day

It's been raining in LA for the past few days. Apparently what constitutes normal weather in most places causes catastrophic disaster here. I would estimate that it rained about two inches. People were running their cars into one another, roofs were caving in, events were canceled, no one actually did anything productive. If the big one ever hits, we are going to be the first ones to go. We can't function IN THE RAIN. This does not bode well. I understand that mudslides are a concern, but beyond that, this city needs to get a grip. Granted, it has been so long since I turned my windshield wipers on, I forgot where they were, but it only took me about 10 seconds to figure it out. I saw 3 car accidents during my commute today which took about twice as long as usual each way.
I'm about to sign a lease on a new apartment. I don't know if I can stay with these people for another year. Soft, spoiled, envious. Those are the words I would use to describe this place. I have never been one to be too materialistic, but in the course of looking for this new apartment, the shift officially took place. For some reason, I feel as though I deserve to live in a 4 bedroom house overlooking the ocean with palm trees outside my bedroom window and a wrap around deck. Why doesn't my $1200 a month get me that? I feel like I've been cheated in some way.
My very kind new landlady was giving me a tour of the apartment and she told me that she has a few tenants who have lived there for over a decade. I think she meant this to be a selling point. So, although this apartment has hardwood floors and a little balcony and is on the top floor and has a gated parking space and plenty of room for all my furniture and pink tiles in the bathroom, I have been focusing on the fact that I may end up living in a little one bedroom apartment by myself in West Hollywood for the rest of my life. I can't even be a cat lady as the building does not allow pets. Maybe I could be the hamster lady. My living room could just be filled with those plastic yellow tubes and they could run around all day.
This is what 2 inches of rain after 8 months of sunshine does to you. This is what LA does. It gives you just enough to want more and not enough to feel comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment